Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Big Dose of Truth

I already had a lot on my mind when I came home this evening - I had just returned from performing a couple of numbers with my burlesque troupe, at an event called "Women Out Loud", which is also the name of the organization that put it on (a UofT based feminist type of group). It was a great night with a Q&A that provoked some very interesting discussions. I was grateful to have the opportunity to talk openly about some of the questions and dilemmas I have had as a burlesque peformer - namely one who resonates strongly with a lot feminist writings and ideals. It was both riveting and insightful to have these discussions in a public, open format setting. I intended to come home and write all about it, but something came up that took my mind off of the rest of the evening very quickly.

I watched a video on YouTube called "The Story of Stuff". It is a dose of truth that is hard to ignore, and yet hard to accept at the same time. Horrifying to see and hear it, and sickening to realize just how active of a participant I have been in it...basically since birth (toxin-ridden breast milk, anyone?)

Some of the things in this video were news to me, others were not. And as for those that were not...well, a good deal of the time I'm just not thinking about it. Acting out of habit, convenience...it's the easy choice to make when life is busy. But busy does not have to equal thoughtless. Haven't I spent long enough being an ignorant consumer? I am terrified by the state of the world, but choosing ignorance is not going to change anything for the positive. I have choices, and like other times in my life, I can choose not to be a victim.

That's all for now...I gotta go sleep on this shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment